Last Updated ( Monday, 19 September 2011 13:28 )
- Hearing tests are conducted in the hospital prior to discharge.
- This test is conducted while the baby sleeps and is safe and painless.
- Babies who fail the hearing test will need to be retested on an outpatient basis. Failing the hearing test does not mean that your baby has hearing loss.
- A retest may be needed due to:
- Fluid in the ear
- Noise in the testing room
- Movement of the baby
- Hearing loss
- Babies may pass the first hearing test and lose hearing later due to:
- And/or family history of hearing loss
Author : Diba Tillery RN, BSN, IBCLC, CPST