Syrup of Ipecac
Last Updated ( Monday, 03 September 2012 09:00 )
- Used to induce vomiting.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommends giving syrup of ipecac. Be sure to call Poison Control BEFORE giving syrup of ipecac! Some toxic chemicals can burn the esophagus when vomiting is induced.
- Call THE POISON CENTER 1-800-222-1222 and provide following information:
- The name of the medication
- The dose or amount taken
- The time your child took it
- Child's age and weight
- Any medical conditions your child has
- Other medications your child is taking
- Child's symptoms
- Your location and how long it takes to reach a hospital
Author : Diba Tillery RN, BSN, IBCLC, CPST