Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.
If your child is not breathing, call 911 immediately.
Provide the following information:
- Name of the medication/chemical ingested.
- Dose or amount taken.
- How the medication/chemical was taken.
- Time ingested.
- Child's age, height, and weight.
- Any medical conditions your child has.
- Any medications your child is taking.
- Child's symptoms.
- Your location and how long it takes to reach a hospital
- THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS NO LONGER RECOMMENDS GIVING SYRUP OF IPECAC. SOME TOXIC CHEMICALS CAN BURN THE ESOPHAGUS IF VOMITING IS INDUCED!
- Download our Emergency Contact form (Emergency Contact Form.pdf). Fill it out (with pencil so you can update changes such as weight and medical history) and have it accessible in the event of an emergency. Print multiple copies and leave with grandparents and anyone else who will be caring for your child outside of your home.
Be sure to like, comment and share Babies 411 content with your friends to help keep babies healthy and safe.
Author : Diba Tillery RN, BSN, IBCLC, CPST