Ear infections,also know as Otitis Media, are very common. They can be caused by viruses or bacteria
Signs and symptoms:
- Fever over 100° F
- Reduced appetite
- Difficulty feeding
- Fluid draining from ear
- Hearing loss
- Pulling at ear
- Treatment usually involves antibiotic therapy.
How to prevent ear infections:
- Practice good hand washing.
- Breastfeeding provides your baby with antibodies that protect baby against many illnesses.
- Do not allow baby to drink a bottle when lying down because the liquid can pool around the ear which increases the risk of infection.
- Avoid exposure to cigarette smoke.
- Remember to vaccinate your baby. The pneumococcal and flu vaccine can greatly reduce the risk of infection.
Be sure to like, comment and share Babies 411 content with your friends to help keep babies healthy and safe.
|Baby Ear Infections|
Author : Diba Tillery RN, BSN, IBCLC, CPST